Monday, June 9, 2008

Catching up a bit...

Hey folks.  It's been awhile since I've just brain dumped on the internet so I thought today would be as good a day as any.

Topics of the Day:

  • International Relations - Thom York has my girlfriend.  I'm  a little wistful today as I miss my Finch.  She's off touring France and seeing Radiohead.  I am excited for her and sounds like she is having a great time.  I'm glad Radiohead only tours every 5 or so years.
  • Podcast Update - As mentioned in previous posts, the first episode of the podcast that I co-host is available for download.  We should be recording episode #2 sometime this week.  You don't have to listen to it just because you love me.  (But it would rule if you did.)  It is a podcast centering around my favourite video game Team Fortress 2.   If you are interested in listening you can find the show on our website.   We are also available through iTunes.  (We are not searchable on iTunes yet, but if you click this link while iTunes is open on your computer it will take you to where you can subscribe.)
  • Politics - Not news anymore that Obama is the Democratic Presidential Nominee.  He will be my choice for president.  I think that ether way things turn in the election we will have a good man in office.  I choose Obama as my candidate because I feel at this stage in our nation's history the upside potential of Obama surpasses that of McCain.  The way I see things.  No matter who wins things will get better.  Obama is an unproven commodity to be sure.  However, I think that it is a chance worth rolling the dice on.   My good friend and fellow blogger The Automatic Rebalancer has been posting lots of interesting articles pointing out the flaws in my candidate.  My question to him then is why should I vote for McCain instead?  Other then experience what sets him apart as the superior person to lead our country?
  • Music - Kitten sent me this YouTube link.  It's pretty darn groovy.  I can't get this song out of my head.  The band is called "The Wombats".  This is their song "Let's Dance to JoyDivision."  Enjoy.

1 comment:

goose said...

Hello Major! I am certainly no official promoter of McCain, and I don't think either candidate is particularly "good" but I feel he is the best of what we have.

1. Only one capable of being Commander in Chief. Understands diplomacy and foreign policy and how summits are constructed. (This doesn't include unconditional talks with megalomaniac tyrants)
2. Proven record of working in a bi-partisan fashion on meaningful legislation. (with Feingold and Kennedy)
3. Keen on developing Nuclear power sources along with ethanol, solar, etc...
4. Promotes drilling for our own oil on our own territories, Montana, SD, ND, Gulf of Mex. ANWAR, which would power our vehicles for decades. (approx. 300 billion barrels of light sweet crude in all locations)
5. Understands that while not an economic genius, raising the capital gains tax will only hurt investors, and decrease revenue for the government.
6. Realizes that a raise in taxes on the "wealthiest" Americans, many of whom include small business owners, will only prompt them to lay off employees, which in turn damages the economy more.

These are just some quick points that I thought I'd throw out to you. Does he have flaws, sure, many. However, in my opinion, his positives far outweigh his negatives. I respect and value your opinion immensely, as you well know. However, I must say, I am all for "rolling the dice", on a horse race, a craps game, etc... I personally, can't do so on the leader of the free world. I can't support a candidate that has zero experience and even less knowledge on world matters.

-In other news, GREAT CALL on The Wombats! I just got introduced to them recently and really liked their sound.