Friday, June 20, 2008

Dear Thom,

Ever wonder what a letter from me to Thom Yorke would look like?

Dear Mr. Yorke,

I hope that my letter finds you well, and I appreciate you taking the time to read it.  I am writing to you today regarding a subject very near and dear to my heart.   I wanted to offer a suggestion that I think would prove to be something really special for your band, and I am certain for your many fans.    I think that at some point, you and your mates should get together at a show and play your album Pablo Honey  in it's entirety.   I realize that Radiohead has a large body of work that constantly has pushed the boundaries of what modern rock music can be.   I make my appeal on behalf of your first outing as a band because I feel that the album has never received the credit that it deserves in discussions of the 90's alternative rock scene.   In my humble opinion it is easily one of the top 5 albums released during that time period.   To this day, I have never heard an album as vibrant and sonicly engaging as Pablo Honey.    The sonic progression from the start of the album is perfect with each song setting up the next.   Nowhere is this more evident in the progression from "How Do You?" to "Stop Whispering" to "Thinking About You."   Please consider it a very humble suggestion that at some point you and your mates return to that album and see what new things you find there for you.   Remind us out there just how amazing your band has been from the start.  It saddens me that I often get the impression that you are embarrassed by what I consider to be a work of music genius.  Sure, I can understand why you may feel that way.  I've seen the music videos from the era, and the "Anyone Can Play Guitar" footage from the MTV Beach House.  Just remember.  It was the 90's.  A lot of weird stuff went down then.   I think that if you ever wanted to provide your fans with a concert experience that would become the crown jewel of Radiohead shows an entire run of Pablo Honey would become legendary.

Once again Mr. Yorke thank you for your time, and thank you and your mates for such an excellent piece of music.

Sincerely,

Mark Beers

 

P.S. - I'll be at Lollapaloza.  That would be a great time to do something like that.

No comments: