Monday, December 8, 2008

Many Things On My Mind…

Today’s post will be a bit all over the place.  Please forgive the haphazard topic organization, but there is a lot to talk about today.

  • First and foremost, my heart and thoughts today are with my cousin Nick and the family of his wife Jennifer who recently suffered the loss of a family member due to a drunk driver.     I sadly never had the chance to meet Amanda, and now I never shall.  I hope that they take the driver responsible for leaving  her  4 year old and 9 month old children without their mother and screw him to the wall.   Especially since the driver in question was driving  on a suspended license and insurance due to an  DWI offense earlier this year.
  • What do you mean you still don’t have “Left 4 Dead”?  Some people may have felt that the initial $50 price tag for the game was a bit steep.  (I would not be one, as I easily feel that I’ve gotten $50  worth of enjoyment out of the game thus far.)   Well, now you have no excuse.  The game (PC version) can now be purchased via Amazon for a mere $30.  Thanks to the Mad_Typist for pointing this out to me.  You are officially out of excuses to not own this game and kill zombies with me.
  • Last night I had a weird nightmare that myself and one of my best friends Pete moved to South Africa.
  • So on Sunday the Buffalo Bills played (and lost) a “home” game against the Miami Dolphins at the Rodger’s Centre in Toronto.   I wont go into how disappointing the Bills have been thus far this season after what looked like a promising start.   What has got me riled up here is that I struggle to see how of all the games on the schedule the Miami game was chosen to be played up north.   If you have any familiarity with Buffalo Bills football you know that the Dolphins are the team that we love to hate the most, and that the idea of getting the fish outdoors in the harsh Buffalo winter is something to be looked forward to each season.   What also has me irked, is all the talk swirling around again, that at some point we may see the team relocate to a permanent home up north.  One has to be nervous especially with the health of team owner Ralph Wilson becoming a growing concern with each passing season that a new ownership might not be as loyal to the City of Buffalo as Wilson has been.   One bright spot I did read is that Ex-Bills QB Jim Kelly is apparently trying to lead a group to purchase the team with the intent of keeping the franchise where it belongs in Western New York.   The Bills leaving the city would be disastrous for my home town where people live and die by this team.  (One of the few things that Vincent Gallo actually did right in “Buffalo ‘66”  was to display just how crazy some people can be when it comes to their beloved Bills.)
  • This weekend Finch and I watched “Jerry McGuire”.   This was the first time that I’ve sat down and viewed the film from start to finish.  I think I had held off on seeing the movie for so long largely because I knew that there was a cute kid in it who had no reason to be in the film other then to be annoying and cute.   While I certainly was not disappointed by Jonathan Lipnicki in this regard, as he played cute for the sole purpose of being cute exactly as I feared, what astounded me was how ridiculous the rest of this movie was.   In a nut shell the movie is about Jerry McGuire, a sports agent who has a relationship with a single mother.   The problem with the movie, is that it never really shows Jerry doing ether of those two things.   That is a shame, because a movie about a sports agent could have been interesting.  So could a movie about a guy who finds love in a relationship with a single mother.   What we get in this story are lots of shots of Jerry standing there at football games.   We do get to see Jerry avoid being around his new wife over the course of the season, but at the end when Jerry has his famous “you complete me” revelation it seams to come out of no where.   I think part of the issue with this is the fact that the time frame of the movie is never clearly defined.     In thinking about it in hind sight I guess the story takes place over the course of 9 to 10 months, or roughly the amount of time in between the NFL draft and the near the end of the season.    The time frame is hard to pick up on though, as the way it is presented the story  easily feels like it happens over the span of a few weeks.   the compressed time frame makes the choices made by Jerry appear nonsensical.    When Jerry asks Dorothy to marry him it feels like it happens with in a few days of their first date.   Well, maybe the movie can’t show the relationship between Jerry and Dorothy because it’s to busy focusing on how Jerry is working as an agent to get Rod Tidwell his new contract.   Nope.  We don’t see that ether.  For all we know, Tidwell’s big payday has nothing to do with Jerry and everything to do with him faking an injury, and then dancing around the field like a moron.   Ugh…I just don’t get why people say this is a good movie.
  • I am very happy that this weekend Finch has started picking up her paint brushes again.  the piece she is working on now is pretty cool.  I’ll try to put up some pics when it is done.   I really am proud to have such an incredibly talented girlfriend.

/rant

1 comment:

Mad Typist said...

When I saw Buffalo '66 for the first time, and they got to the scene with his crazy Bills fan parents, I laughed out loud, because I totally have family that's just like that. My aunt used to weep after the Bills lost, back in the golden days of Jim Kelly and company. Obviously, with their Streak of Suck lately, she had to stop that, as she would have been crying about every week.

I agree that moving the Bills to Toronto would just be terrible. I really hope that Jim Kelly can get his group together to buy the Bills, so they can stay safely in Orchard Park where they belong.