Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Careful What You Wish For

So as previously posted, I did receive my new PC from Dell. I got the upgrades that I was hoping for, and now I can't help but wonder if that was actually a good thing. The system works great, after I have moved things around and wiped the system clean of any preinstalled software. However, I am having serious issues with something very near and dear to my heart. I can't play games. Anything that I try to play, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, WoW, Oblivion will freeze. This makes me angry. I've seen on line and I apparently am not the only person to have experienced these issues with the video card that I have. It's a Nvida GeForce 7900gs. Should be a nice card, but it has been giving me fits. Searching fourms online, people point to a number of issues with the card very similar to my own. Some of the more prominant theories as to why this happens include; it being under powered (Which is possible, they shipped the system with only a 350 watt PSU, and this card requires it's own lead.) bad drivers, over heating, or just a plain old defective card. I am going to have another go at it with Dell support tonight. Hope they can do something for me.

No comments: