Tuesday, September 16, 2008

All Television Programs Should Be Available Online

Wanted to write today about something that has been bothering me recently.  I always have to wonder why more television programming is not available to me online in some form of streaming delivery.   I have been a huge fan of Hulu since the sites launch, and I think it does a wonderful job of providing a wide array of content for viewing free of cost.  Sure you have to watch a few adds, but the ability to do this via the internet is a godsend to me.  Especially because I do not subscribe to a cable television service in my home.

 

What draws my ire though is that while the selection on Hulu is pretty extensive. (The Daily Show, Battlestar Galactica (New & Old), The Simpsons, The Family Guy and many, many more)  It is not complete in terms of the shows I would like to keep up with.  While I am not Naive enough to believe that my life could be so simple as having one website to satisfy all my viewing desires I have to wonder why a good majority of networks have not embraced the internet to deliver content through legitimate means.  If the point of television programming is to draw viewers to your station with the intent of exposing them to the advertisements of your sponsors why do the networks turn away from this additional source of advertisement revenue? Ultimately, all they do is cause potential viewers to venture elsewhere to watch the shows they want, and these other venues for viewing provide them no return in terms of advertisement.  

 

I know that the internet has caused a lot of traditional information mediums to have to rethink their strategies for reaching their intended audiences, and I am not surprised that mediums like newspapers and magazines are being hit pretty hard.  Especially since the basic logistics of their business prevent them from providing information to customers with the speed of the internet.   What does surprise me though is how slow the television medium has been to adopt the internet.   It would seam to be a pretty easy transition to make from a core business stand point.  You are still broadcasting content, just through a different set of "tubes".  

 

I think if networks were smart all content would be available online.  I don't mind watching the adds that are on Hulu, because I expect them when watching television shows.  Now that home internet speeds are reaching a point where providing this type of content is more feasible to a larger portion of the country it just seams to make sense to me.  The only thing they are losing by not doing this are the eyes of potential customers for their advertisements.

 

Here are a few things I would like to see available for viewing online:

  1. How I Met Your Mother
  2. The Big Bang Theory
  3. Bravo Reality Shows (Project Runway, Top Chef)
  4. NFL Football
  5. MLB Baseball
  6. NHL Hockey

FINAL NOTE:  Buffalo NY Featured in Recent Episode of Ghost Hunters.

Available right now for streaming viewing is an episode of Ghost Hunters that takes place at the Iron Island Museum in the Love Joy district of Buffalo.  (A scant few blocks away from my Grandma's old house.)   It is a really cool episode.  Check it out HERE.   I will be planning on making a visit here next time I return to Buffalo to check it out.

No comments: